Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Grammar School Car Surfing

It's taken me a while to get used to the acrobatics that Second Darling has perfected in her gymnastics class. I've quit dialing 9-1- and waiting for the last -1 while she's leaping and rolling on the balance beam. I've had plenty of lectures about brain injuries from Darling Man, so needless to say, we're not into high risk activities.

But today, my cheese almost slid off the cracker. I looked out our big glass doors to see her car surfing on the battery powered mini cars that Uncle Jack Sparrow gave the darlings for Christmas. I leaped over tall piles of laundry in a single bound, almost landing on Super Dog, as I ran for the door. Of course First Darling, who was doing the driving, was laughing her head off. (The utter fun that I'm sure this was, was not lost on me; but remember, Darling Man tells me all sorts of hospital-horror-stories.

So, between the sound of the little car running and First Darling's laughter, my screaming like a crazy person was all for naught. I was running behind the car to catch them. Remind me again, Mom, why a big back yard is such a great thing? Little Man, and Fourth Darling were harvesting pecans as they watched me get more exercise than I have in a long time. Once I got the Darlings, they quickly obeyed, and looked at me like "what's the big deal?" Nobody thanked me for saving them from certain fun doom.

After the darlings were in bed tonight, and I told this story to Darling Man, we both agreed we would have done the same thing if we had been given the chance.

No comments: