Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dinner at Our House

Most nights, dinnertime is an adventure - to say the least. This is partly because I am not a chef, and cooking is not one of my favorite things to do. As a result, I usually put preparation off until the very last minute. This is also the time of day when all of the darlings are s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g and driving me crazy begging for food. I'm trying to fix dinner, carefully following the recipe because I can't "wing it" in the kitchen while the natives are dancing around me wailing "I'm hungwy, I'm hungwy....waa...."
Well, tonight, I actually had my act somewhat together, and had the king ranch chicken put together and in the oven, with the automatic turn-off set (first time to use that feature) so that we could - as a family - go swimming at our neighborhood pool. It worked out well - dinner cooked and the house didn't burn down. I'll have to try that again.

Above is a picture of Fourth Darling at the table tonight. Yes, that is a baby doll and yes, she's getting ready to salt it. The little cannibal had already finished her casserole, and had downed about half a watermelon, so to finish off she was going for the baby. That doesn't bode well for the future.

Tonight at the table was great, though. It was one of those evenings that I always want to remember. We talked, and laughed, and it was truly wonderful. Second darling used "air quotes" on me, which was a little unnerving, but Darling Man and I cracked up, none-the-less.

Now, what am I going to fix for tomorrow night?

No comments: