Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm So Old....and Uncool


Facebook, MySpace...ugh...I'm so out of it. Some friends and I are trying to set up a user-friendly web group for our group of homeschooling friends. (Yes, I know that sentence just oozes with nerdy-goodness). We thought using Facebook or MySpace would be the easiest and cheapest way, so that we wouldn't have to pay a webmaster. Now, that extortion payment isn't looking so bad.

After suspiciously turning over my name and info to these two "social networking sites" I thought it should be easy as pie to set up a group of friends, create a group calendar and have some kind of message board. Well......not so much.

Facebook has this thing called a poke. Yes, I know. I agree it sounds obscene. In real like if someone pokes me, he, she or it better be ready to pull back a stump. Apparently, it's a good thing in cyberspace. I still don't really know what it is, or why it is (metaphysically speaking).

I never fancied myself a hipster on the cutting edge of anything, but I felt like I could usually hold my own, or at least fake it long enough to get through what I needed to do. Well, I'm slowing down in my old age. What kills me is that these troglodytes (love that word!) that work at McJobs have these elaborate pages, and I'm freaking out because I got "poked". Snob, you say? Yep, heard it...you're probably right.

If you're one of those that has no idea what I'm talking about and I'm not sure I know exactly, just jaunt on over to one of these sites and set yourself up with a page. You'll be yearning for the good 'ol days of rotary phones and remote controls that were attached to your television by a six foot cord.

In my cyber-angst, Darling Man's words of encouragement were "don't hurt yourself." Of course in all of my ineptitude, I'll probably "red-flag" somewhere, and the men in black will be knocking on my door.

By-the-way, Darling Man turns thirty-five on Sunday....why does that sound so much more grown-up than thirty-four?

No comments: