Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pockets: To Check or Not to Check


It's one of those eternal questions in a marriage...one of those your mom probably doesn't tell you about. No, the question is not "exactly how much dignity will I have left after having a baby?" or "How many times can you serve spaghetti before it becomes a problem?"

The question is "WHOSE JOB IS IT TO CHECK THE PANTS POCKETS BEFORE THEY'RE WASHED?" According to me, the washer, it is the wearer of the pants who should check/empty all pockets before depositing said pants in the hamper. Darling man, the wearer, feels that it is the washer who should empty the pockets. Who wins? . . . . . . . let me tell you who wins....THE WASHER!

Obviously Darling Man and I have different answers to this question...and it's one I'm not budging on. It's one of the few things in our household that I refuse to do...not because I'm too good to do it, or because it's a man's job, but because I'm doing good just to get the dang clothes washed, let alone to remember to check the pockets!!!!

Hmmm....let's see what we've washed and dried: a cell phone, pocket knife, chap stick, hand sanitizer, numerous pens, notes, money (which upon discovery becomes the property of the washer), a razor blade which was used in some home repairs, and most recently, our one and only credit card! Did you know that after drying a credit card that it comes out warped? Oh, it does!

Sorry Darling Man, as long as I do the laundry, I don't check pockets!

1 comment:

amelia said...

Amen, sister!!!!!

I have a little jar by the dryer and whatever money appears in the washer or dryer goes into the money jar--MY money jar!

I agree that it is the wearer who should check their pockets for the same reason you stated.....I am doing good just to get the clothes washed!

Pens are my least favorite laundry items because we have had a few ruined items as a result. :(